YOU GUYS. I don’t know how to put into words how much today’s episode means to me. Vanessa Oakley is a licensed professional counselor, mental health service provider and one of my dearest friends in town. We sat down to talk about beauty’s role in healing from trauma and suffering, self-acceptance, and the metamorphosis of becoming who you already are. While the subject matter can be heavy, in her true nature, Vanessa had me laughing the whole time! I can’t wait for you to hear this.
Remember to rate + review the show!
In this episode:
- Adventure Therapy and our bodies holding stories
- Trauma is unique to each person
- How we deal with our personal suffering
- Beauty as an anchor of hope
- A regular awareness practice of beauty
- Metamorphosis: becoming something you already are
- Our true self can be buried by our experiences
- Comfort in one’s own skin
- Everyone is recovering from something
- What beauty feels like
- Asking: Does this make me feel more or less like myself?
- Overthinking things drains your energy
- The gift of silence
- We have to be comfortable with ourself before we can invite other people in
- How to help people who are in the healing process
- Allowing people to have their own stories
"True beauty feels like the first day of sun after the coldest winter." - Vanessa Oakley
Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
Need Hair + Makeup help?
Make an appointment:
William Edge Salon in Nashville, TN